Question from Elaine: Jason is it possible to transfer all of the info in an imovie project (before it has been finalized from one mac to another? I was working on a project for my son who has additional pics and video to add to the project. He is visiting and does not have the time to work on the project on my computer. I’ve looked around for steps to do this and either I am dense or the instructions are not sufficient.
Jason answers: Yes, you can transfer iMovie projects from one Mac to another. If you have iMovie ’09 or later, here’s what you need to do:
On the Mac that contains the project:
- Connect an external hard drive.
- Open iMovie.
- Click on the “Project Library” button in the upper left hand corner of the iMovie window. You will see your project listed, along with your external hard drive in the Project Library pane.
- Drag your project to the external drive in the list to copy the project. If you are prompted to copy the “project” or “project and events”, choose the “project and events”.
- Eject and disconnect the external drive, then,
On the destination Mac:
- Connect the external drive.
- Launch iMovie.
- Click on the “Project Library” button in the upper left hand corner of the iMovie window. You will see your project listed, on your external hard drive in the Project Library pane.
- Drag your project to your iMovie projects list to copy the project to this Mac. If you are prompted to copy the “project” or “project and events”, choose the “project and events”.
If you are having trouble with these steps:
- Make sure you are using iMovie ’09 or later.
- Make sure both Macs have the same version of iMovie.
Jason thanks so much for these instructions. THEY WORKED! While my son appreciated the hours and hours (he has no idea how many) I had put into his movie he can now add HIS photos, HIS video and edit to his hearts content… I’m off the hook!
Could you tell me why I end up with duplicate events on my external hard drive when I do this? Example: I have events called “Food and Wine Show” and “Food and Wine Show1”. This has happened for EVERY event, obviously taking up double the space on my HD… Can you help me?
Yes! I have an urgent need to produce some promo material using clips from various movies, some of which are on my Macbook. With your beautifully clear instructions, it was a breeze. Thank you.
Dude Thank God for you!